|Entry # 21 Home from the Hospital after Radioactive Iodine-131 Treatment|
|My Story - My Radiation Treatment|
|Monday, 16 March 2009 17:00|
For the next 7 days I had to avoid people….my wife…my dog…pretty much everything. I was fortunate enough to have a guest room to sleep in and a separate bathroom to use. This actually made it rather easy to avoid everyone. I also took two showers a day to wash off any of the secreted radioactive iodine. After about day 5 this really got annoying. My poor dog would come running up to me only to be avoided. She looked so sad....
Here is the discharge briefing. These are the precautions one should take after radioactive iodine-131 treatment.
1. Remain 6 feet away from all pregnant women or children under 18
2. Remain 3 feet away from everyone else
3. Avoid month-to-mouth kissing and yes, no sex
4. DO NOT share eating utensils with others
5. DO NOT prepare food for others
6. Drink plenty of fluids
7. Men should sit while urinating in the toilet to prevent splashes
8. Flush the toilet twice after each use
9. Wash hands thoroughly after urination
10. DO NOT breast feed for at least two months
11. Wash clothing separately