What is Armour?

What is Armour?

Postby Edward » Fri May 29, 2009 4:00 am

I've had a few friends swear by Armour for thyroid meds? I've heard it's from pigs...interesting. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Edward
Edward

Re: What is Armour?

Postby Pleidies » Sun May 31, 2009 9:09 pm

From what I've heard (mostly from the author M. Sara Rosenthal), it's not a great choice because its contents are inconsistent from batch to batch, thereby resulting in inconsistent TSH test results. I'm still in the research stage tho, so your friends would probably have more to say about that.
You're correct, it is made from pig thyroids. You can read a little more about it (mainly arguments against it) in Rosenthal's Thyroid Sourcebook, online courtesy of google books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=5fAdyHaHbTcC&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=m.+sara+rosenthal+armour&source=bl&ots=aWHrpFVxfz&sig=2XcrnHiKZEnlrqnJkhXXOkXt-n4&hl=en&ei=ye8iSobgNoXosgOood34Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#PPA156,M1

Ridiculously long URL......
Pleidies

Postby Edward » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 am

I think I may just stick to my generic thyroid med (levothyroixine.) I've had no problems with this med.
Edward

Postby CarlaMcW » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:32 am

I have been taking Armour Thyroid for about 9 months now, and it has worked very well for me. I was initially started on levoxythyrine (Synthroid) when my TSH levels went through the roof a few months after my partial thyroidectomy. I spent a few months on it, and while my TSH level went down, I still felt as exhausted as I had before I was started on the meds, I was gaining weight, and my hair was thinning like crazy. I did some research and got switched to Armour. My dose has been bumped up a couple of times since, but my energy levels are much, much better than they were on the levoxythyrine, I have found it easier to lose some of the excess weight, and my hair has stopped thinning. Stop The Thyroid Madness is a website (and book) that are both very pro-Armour, and are a good place to look for more info.
CarlaMcW

Postby Rose » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 am

I was initially started on levoxythyrine (Synthroid) when my TSH levels went through the roof a few months after my partial thyroidectomy. I spent a few months on it, and while my TSH level went down, I still felt as exhausted as I had before I was started on the meds, I was gaining weight, and my hair was thinning like crazy.

I"ve had similar experiences. Armour worked well for me. It is a natural thyroid hormone supplement. I will not go back to synthetic hormones.
Rose

Postby Pleidies » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 am

Yeah, didn't mean to bash on something that's working for folks.... but one thing I've learned from my research is that every body and every experience really is different. No reason to hate on synthetic hormone, as it does work very well for some people, and from your descriptions it sounds like Armour was the right choice for you. Edward, I've been told to stay away from generics, but you seem to be a happy camper. I think at the end of the day it's a matter of listening to your body, giving something a chance, and moving on if you seem stuck in a loop of feeling lousy. Then again, I haven't even started that journey - it's just that that approach makes the most sense to me.
We can count ourselves lucky at least that we have more than one option at our disposal.
Pleidies

Postby Edward » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:43 pm

I think at the end of the day it's a matter of listening to your body, giving something a chance, and moving on if you seem stuck in a loop of feeling lousy.

Pleidies- That is the KEY! Everyone's body responds differently to medications, especially hormones. What works for one person may not work for another. Generic thyroid hormones works fine for me however, i read so so so many bad expereiences with generics and synthetic thyroid hormones. I'm thinking, hey, maybe someday if my generic synthetic hormone doesn't work anymore i'll move on and try a name brand or natural hormone. Until then it's only a $5 dollar copay per month 8-)

I'm curious to see what my doctor thinks. I'm going to ask him about this at my next appt. I let you know what he says.
Edward

Postby kmarshall » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm

I recently ask my endocrinologist about Armour. He didn't want to prescribe it. He said the dosing fluctuates and he recommended to stay on synthroid. Interesting. This seems like a common occurance in the endocrine field.
kmarshall

Return to Thyroid Medication and Hormone Levels