Recently Diagnosed

Recently Diagnosed

Postby Pleidies » Sun May 31, 2009 1:50 am

I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer about a week and a half ago. Pretty much freaked out for a solid week, and am now calming down a bit. I haven't scheduled surgery yet, but am probably going to aim for early July.
For what it's worth, I started a blog in order to keep track of all my thoughts and experiences surrounding my thyroid cancer diagnosis. This is mysterious territory for me, but in my attempt to educate myself and get an idea of what to expect I've found one or two really helpful sites, including this one. Hopefully airing out some of my thought processes will benefit someone else out there, and once I really get going on treatments and such I'll have something more concrete to write about.

Here's the link:
http://thyroidtastic.blogspot.com/
Pleidies

Re: Recently Diagnosed

Postby Edward » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:13 am

Keep us updated. I'm looking forward to following your future challenges. You'll be in my thoughts.
Edward

Postby Pleidies » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:53 am

Thanks, Edward. Your positivity has actually been very reassuring to me. So many people take to the internet to discuss what is going wrong with them (I totally understand that need, but I find it scary right now!), so it's really great to read your "it'll be ok" comments! That's my plan - to come out of this stronger and not weaker. So thanks again.
Pleidies

Postby dazedNConfused » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:12 pm

i too am newly diagnosed. It's been a few weeks and i find myself scowering the 'net looking for articles to "figure this thing out". I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and the ENT wants to do a thyroidectory and radio-iodine. This site was helpful because I wanted to know what to expect -- pain wise, and what the radio-iodone treatment was like. I really can't talk to my family much about this. They're kind of freaked about this whole thing -- I'm the youngest. And, they believe in the power of positive thinking so any information that can be deemed even remotely negative is taboo.
But, I want to know what to expect -- the good the bad and the ugly. I feel like I'm preparing for battle and need to know what to expect so that I can know how to fight back. And it's good to know I'm not alone.

I am scheduled for the thyroidectomy in September, right after labor day. Wish me luck!
dazedNConfused

Return to Post Your Story