Mulitple radiation treatments

Mulitple radiation treatments

Postby EastCoast » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:20 am

I've had one radiation treatment since i've been diagnosed with papillary carcinoma. Is it common for one to get more radiation treatment in the future? Is this something I'm going to have to go through yearly?
EastCoast

Re: Mulitple radiation treatments

Postby Rose » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:03 am

It all depends if the cancer returns. If your blood test and scans are normal then you will most likely never have additional radiation. However, like me, I had a reoccurrence about 8 years after my initial diagnosis and surgery. The cancer returned in a lymph node in my neck. I had lymphectomy (surgery to remove my lymph node) and a large dose of radioactive iodine 131.

I’ve been cancer free now for the last 10 years. So never give up hope even if your cancer returns. It’s still very treatable.
Rose

Postby Pleidies » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:48 am

Rose wrote:It all depends if the cancer returns. If your blood test and scans are normal then you will most likely never have additional radiation.

Since your cancer returned eight years later, tho, wouldn't it seem wise to have scans if not yearly, then every few years? The scans require RAI (radioactive iodine), right?
(I'm new at this, so please do let me know if I'm missing something obvious. I'm sortof a sponge for information right now, so everything helps!)
Pleidies

Postby Rose » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Since your cancer returned eight years later, tho, wouldn't it seem wise to have scans if not yearly, then every few years? The scans require RAI (radioactive iodine), right?

You’re right. You do have to do a yearly radioactive scans (and the low iodine diet.) but you won’t have to go through a large dose of radiation (radioactive oblation) and isolation like before unless cancer is detected again. For the radioactive scan you are only given a very little dose just so the scanners can pick up and isolate any cancer in the body. Thanks for clarifying that. :)
Rose

Return to Radioactive Iodine Treatment