Vascular thyroid nodule

Vascular thyroid nodule

Postby kmarshall » Thu May 07, 2009 4:19 pm

When I had my thyroid ultrasound my technician was great. She used the wand and gel and took all sorts of images of my thyroid nodule. She measured the nodule and check for blood flow within the nodule. Apparently my nodule was very vascular. Does a vascular nodule indicate cancer? Does it increase the suspicion of cancer? What are your experiences with your thyroid ultrasound?
Thanks,
Kenny
kmarshall

Re: Vascular thyroid nodule

Postby EastCoast » Sun May 10, 2009 2:35 am

A vascular thyroid nodule doesn't necessary mean it's cancer. However, it does make the nodule more suspicious and the doctor will probably order more tests (like a FNA.) In general, cancer tumors tend to be vascular. This is because the tissue is growing uncontrollably and requires more blood flow.

I had a vascular thyroid nodule and it turned out to be papillary carcinoma. I had a thyroidectomy surgery and radiation for the cancer. I’m doing well now.
EastCoast

Re: Vascular thyroid nodule

Postby Jane443 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:46 pm

My nodule was vascular on the ultrasound. The FNA showed papillary cancer. My doctor told me that a vascular nodule is more suspicious for cancer then a non-vascular nodule.
Jane443

Return to Thyroid Ultrasound