Parathyroid calcium problems after surgery

Any topics that don't fit into the below forums

Parathyroid calcium problems after surgery

Postby Val » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:04 pm

I have papillary cancer, it has not at all been what I thought it would be... From the very beginning things have been like don't worry it is 95% not cancer to it is the "good cancer" and very curable. After my surgery, (total) my calcium levels tanked after 2 days and I ended up at the ER with tingling in hands, legs, lips and every muscle contracting! It was very scary, I stayed in the hospital 3 days trying to get my levels up. It was 7 and should have been at least 8. I guess I had the complication of parathyroid malfunction during the surgery. I was given lots of IV drip calcium but my body wouldn't absorb it. My magnisium, phospherous, potassium and calcium were all messed up. Has anyone else had this problem?
Val

Re: Parathyroid calcium problems after surgery

Postby kmarshall » Fri May 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Your parathyoid glands are right next to the thyroid....there are four of them. Damaging the parathyroid is a complication from thyroid surgery. Unfortunatly, this does happen but not very often. If your parathyroids are damage you may have to take supplements. I sorry this had to happen. I hope things have leveled off. How are you doing now? any improvment? :(
kmarshall

Return to General