Hyperthyroid, thyroidectomy, now more cancer

Hyperthyroid, thyroidectomy, now more cancer

Postby Aleta » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 pm

I was hyperthyroid for almost 4 years. I'm 40. I had two scans and a biopsy before surgery. My thyroid was both hot and cold. They finally found enough evidence to do a thyroidectomy and found a 1.3cm papillary tumor. And the surgeon said my thyroid was "sticky" ? The recovery was not fun. My scar still hurts 10 months later.

I finally found an sane endocrinologist and started down the RAI therapy path. My scans from yesterday and today show more cancer in the lymph nodes. Not at all what they were expecting to find. I have to have surgery again before the holidays. It hasn't spread anywhere else though and for that I am very thankful. And I can eat regular food today and not have to stay on the low-iodine diet. :lol: I do have to tell my kids though. Not fun. Momma said there'd be days like this..
Aleta

Re: Hyperthyroid, thyroidectomy, now more cancer

Postby Val » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm

I can't imagine having to have more surgery... so sorry. I had my first one week ago. I am having my follow up with surgeon in 2 weeks and she is referring me to the iodine person :( . I am really scared, cry, my family has been throught the ringer. Good luck with the rest of your treatment.
Val

Return to Post Your Story