Feel Good but I need surgery

Feel Good but I need surgery

Postby rand » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:41 pm

After seeing the endo to treat my hypothyroid she did a routine ultrasound. I was suprised to learn I had a nodule that had to be biopsed. She did not rush cause she said they are almost always non-cancerous. So had biopsy last week and get a call from doctor that tells me I have a follicular neoplasm. Basically they dont know if I have cancer so they are going to take out my thyroid. I have an appt this Tues with the first surgeon who specializes in endo and does the minimally invasive procedure. I have to say I am in shock, scared beyond anything. My hypo thyroid has been treated with the natural meds and my levels are in check, I feel terrific, I am fit and athletic and full of energy and the thought of having major surgery to then make myself weak and sick and having to pray to have right medicine dose, scares me. At this point I want to get the surgery over and move forward but I have questions. How long is recovery? Did anyone go back to exercising soon? What do you feel like after surgery? How long did it usually take to get the medicine levels correct? Does anyone use any natural medicines and or supplements that they felt helped with healing. I do plan on working with a homeopathic doctor as well since my body usually rejects traditional medicine. I feel like I cant stop crying. I have a wonderful support system but their sympathy for me is freaking me out. It is hard to feel not right when just 2 days ago I was good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
rand

Re: Feel Good but I need surgery

Postby kmarshall » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:16 am

My recover time was about two weeks. I was working out again in three. I probably could have started working out earlier but I didn’t want to push it. The anesthesia made me feel like crap for a few days after surgery. The actual surgery area was mildly tender and swollen, but not bad at all. I also had minimally invasive thyroid surgery. I was very happy with it. It’s been about 8 months since the surgery and I finally got my thyroid TSH levels in the right zone. I went really hypo after the surgery. I’m feeling a lot better now…just on synthroid. Papillary and follicular cancer both have a high cure rates. It took me about 3-4 months after my surgery to accept the fact that I had cancer. That was a very stressful and hard time. I'm OK with it now and I'm pround to say I'm a cancer survivor. Hang in there :)
kmarshall

Postby mgleasman04 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 am

HI,

I just had a total thyroidectomy on July 21 -2 and a half weeks ago. I was just as scared as you. For your peace of mind, I would request another biopsy just to make sure. I had the same thing, they did not know if my nodule was cancerous, and 2 endo wanted me to have my thyroid out. I went to NYC for a third opinion and was able to get a definitive answer, yes it is cancer. I was relieved that I knew.
As far as the surgery, I had a very positive experience. My surgery was 5 hours long, but I also had a very meticulous Dr. that only does thyroid surgery at Cornell. After the surgery, I did vomit a couple times from being feeling sick. I was able to talk pretty good within an hour from surgery and called my sister! The next morning I was eating normally, talking and walking around great. My neck was sore, but I kept ice on it for 48 hours. I took tylenol for 2 days, then nothing. Now, 21/2 weeks later I am functioning prefectly fine. I also have 3 small children to take care of and my husband is out of town. I started taking Nature-throid the day after surgery and I feel great. The first couple day I felt a bit buzzy but I have no hypo symptoms at all. Full of energy, no weight gain. My hair did come out a bit, but less everyday. I also am into homeopathy and lots of vitamins. Overall, it was a very positive experience. I was a wreck until I had the surgery from worry. I had read a lot online that was negative. Also, I don't have a scar at all! It is unbelievable. Make sure you get a ENT to do the sugery. I had to travel to find the right surgeon and endo, but it was worth it. The Nature-throid is amazing! Hope this helps.
mgleasman04

Postby rand » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Thank you so much for the positive views. Reading online constant negative is more scary. If the first biosposy shows follicular neoplasm can the 2nd show something different? Also what doctor in NY? We are going to see one next week at Columbia for a 2nd opinion. My doctor this week is at Univ of Penn and is a general surgeon who specializes in endo oncology. I am also giving some thought to doing a partial since they dont know at this point if it is def cancer. Has anyone had a partial and if so where the thyroid levels able to get in check quicker? I to take nature thyroid and based on my labs it is working. Thanks again for the replies.
rand

Postby mgleasman04 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 pm

My endo in NYC is Dr. Andrew Martorella. He specializes in thryoid cancer and use to be at Sloan Kettering in NYC. He now has a private practice, but does not take insurance, but worth every single penny! He spend an hour and 15 minutes with my husband and nursing 16m baby answering every single question. He is also very open to natural thyroid meds. My surgeon was Dr. William Kuhel. Excellent and extremely throrough. Both with Cornell. I traveled from Syracuse, NY. At first I thought about having just half of my thyroid out, but since I did have cancer they advised a total for a couple reasons. I would have to still be on medication even with the half as a cancer prevention for it coming out. Also, in retrospect, I am glad they did take the entire thyroid b/c there was cancer on the other side even though there was not a nodule present. Also, my surgeon removed 50 lymph nodes and 4 of them had cancer. It avoids a second surgery. If you continue on the natural thyroid meds, your levels will be fine. I was so concerned about that same issue and I am fine. I go back to see my endo for a level check next week. Even if they are off, I still feel great. Hang in there and get a good Dr. that you feel 100% confident about. It matters so much. Hope this helps.
mgleasman04

Postby rand » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:55 pm

I was wondering how your recovery is going? I saw surgeon and right now I am scheduled for Sept 2. I did make appt with NY endo, thank you for recommendation. Surgeon said choice was mine for partial vs total but to me it seemed as though she was suggesting more of a partial. The biopsy showed a follicular neoplasm that had 20 chance of cancer. Did your biopsy show cancer? I asked about further biopsies but she claimed they would yield same results. I do not want 2 surgeries but I am torn to take whole thing out if I could be ok. The one reason for taking it all out is that I have hashimotos disease. So my thyroid will forever be messed up. Are you getting the radiotive iodine? Please let me know any help of what I have to look forward to is appreciated.
rand

Postby mgleasman04 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Right now it is 3 weeks since my surgery and I feel great. My neck has a small steri strip that I have to change once a week for another 3 weeks. It is sensitive, but does not hurt at all. I can move my neck in all directions and have my 3 small boys constantly jumping all over me. I am lifting everything and am back to normal.

The first biopsy was "atypical follicular cells, numerous macrophages." Now the pathologist in NYC was able to give a definitive answer on whether or not it is cancer. That is what you want to get. Don't accept that they can't do another biopsy. They can. I went to Dr. BRady at Manhattan Diagonostic and he was excellent. He was able to get a really great sample and work with his pathologist on the spot to make sure there was enough of a sample. He is able to get a 99% definitive answer. That was what they did for me since my first sample was inadequate. I wasn't going to have my thyroid removed unless it was cancer. You can always wait 3 months or so and then get another biopsy. It seems very quickly that you are scheduled for surgery for a 20% chance that it "could" be cancerous.
Also, if you have an appt with a new endo, have him so another biopsy. He'll want his own. Don't get the surgery until you meet with the new endo. I was in the same spot and refused surgery until I knew for sure it was cancer.
Hope this is helpful
mgleasman04

Postby rand » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Thank you for the recommendation of the endocrine. Saw him Fri and he was in agreement about removal. I have hashimotas and therefore I will most likely continue to get more nodules as time goes on. The one I do have is large in size and will eventually effect my breathing. It seems that whether I have cancer or not the nodule and thyroid need to come out. Of course I am hoping it is benign. He did put me at ease on going into Hypo mode as I am already on hormone replacement nature grain for my hypo as it is. We increased my dosage. I am using the surgeon at NY Presber- Columbia. I felt more comfortable there and they seemed to have experience with doing the surgery under twilight. I do not do well with general so I am hoping this makes my recovery easier. Did you have general? Knowing how well you are doing def puts my mind at ease. I hope all is still well. My surgery is set for Sept 9th. What other natural supplements/vitamins have you taken to help with healing? I am on probiotic and my homeopath recommended some others as well. Multi-vit, arnica, grapeseed extract, and some I cant remember the names. Thanks again for all your help.
rand

Postby mgleasman04 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Did you see Dr. Martorella and Dr. Kuhel? How awesome if you did! I am going for my follow up 8/31.
As far as the general anesthesia, I did ok. I did vomit shortly after surgery a couple times but that was it. I felt someone strange for a couple days after, but really it just mellowed me out a bit. My husband loved it!
I take selenium, zinc, prenatal multi, magnesium, calcium, homeopathic sulphur, vitamin d when it is not sunny, and evening primrose oil. Green tea. I am also into these essential oils by young living which are amazing. I totally recommend then and if interested I can help you order them since I am a distributor. Just for emotions and I use them for everything.
I am still feeling ok. I definitely think I need an increase in my nature throid. He started me on 2 grains and I split the dose in half and take it in the morning and before lunch. My complaints are just acne, a bit of hair loss--seems to be getting a little better, a bit tired in the afternoon. Everything is mild,, but I want the symptoms gone. My scar is amazing--can barely see it. Another week and I take the sterie strip off. No pain and I have full motion neck. I am even doing sit ups without problems. Also, no weight gain.
You will be fine and just be confident you are doing the right thing. Cornell Hospital is amazing. The best care I have ever had.
Since I was out of town, they wanted me to stay another night in the city. We stayed at the Helmsley Medical Tower on 70th and York--just 2 blocks from Cornell Hospital. It was wonderful, big rooms and very clean. We got there the day before surgery. I spent 24 hour in the hospital and then another night at the Helmsley. Dr. Kuhel wanted me to have my calcium levels checked before I left the area. I was able to negociate seeing before I left so I didn't have to come back in 2 days. Then he saw me about 2 weeks later.

Take care!
mgleasman04

Postby rand » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:48 pm

I did it. Surgery was Wed at Columbia campus. I went in wanting twilight but during procedure they claimed I fought and put me under general. All I remember was going to sleep. Since Anthesthia had trouble getting tube down my throat I was left with a very sore and swollen trachia. Hard to swallow so liquid diet for now. I feel so much better to know it is out. I am a little tired but prob because of surgery and anesthia. Only taking advil and tylenol as needed. Not so much pain in neck more so throat. I'm taking calcium pills as a precaution, my parathyroid had to get removed from thyroid and replaced into neck. I opted for full thyroidectomy and I am glad I did because it turned out my other side had nodules. Now just waiting for results. My scar is glued together. A strip of glue wears off in about 10 days. Rt now scar is ugly. It freaked my son out. I am debating about turtlenecks or scarfs for a short time. How long did you wait until you were out and about. I def do not have energy yet for gym but hopefully I will next week. I am debating about going to a party Sat. I am using Dr M at Cornell. he is wonderful. Thanks for all your help.
rand

Next

Return to Post Your Story