my journey before surgery

my journey before surgery

Postby mgleasman04 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 am

My journey started at the beginning of April. I was leaving my sister's house in New Jersey and as I was walking out of her house, she noticed a lump on my neck. I had no idea I had it. When I returned home, I called my Dr. to get it checked out. At the time, I was feeling very tired but wasn't sure if that was because I take care of my 3 boys ages 1,3, and 5! I was then referred to get an ultrasound. Had that done and proceeded to have a fine needle biopsy. The first result was "atypical cells, evidence scant, a repeat study worthwhile." Then I went to see an endocrinologist to interpret these results. SHe immediately said go to a surgeon and have your thyroid removed. I was devastated! My mother-in-law, who is a nurse practitioner, then gave me a name of another endocrinologist. I felt it was too drastic to take out my thyroid without knowing if it was cancer or not. This time, the office visit seemed to be better with Dr. #2. She had me thinking that I definitely didn't have to have my thyroid out and that everything was going to be great! I was on a high. A week later, I received a phone call that the test came pack and i was Suspicous characteristics in the cells for papillary cancer. She told me all this over the phone while I was alone with my children out of the blue! How unprofessional is that! They were still using the same sample which again said another biopsy was needed since the evidence was scant. My husband then took charge and said we are not messing around here. Let's go to NYC and find and expert. He spend a day looking for a top endocrinologist. He found one that specializes in thyroid cancer who was part of Sloan Kettering and Cornell. So, off we were traveling with our youngest boy Joshua to NYC. The thing, is that he didn't take insurance. We just paid for it! $650. for the first appt! He spend an hour and 15 minutes answering every single question. The Dr. was the nicest and most professional Dr. I have ever been to . He was sympathetic that I was still nursing my youngest and all my concerns I had about that situation. He had us go for another biopsy. The pathologist they used was able to give a definitive answer 99% of the time. I knew I would get an answer either way. I was feeling great again. We had a scheduled conference call with my Dr. to discuss the results, rather then having to travel to NYC again. The news came back positive for papillary cancer. Again, another disappointment. I am scheduled to have surgery in just a couple days-7/21 in NYC with another top Ent who only does thyroid surgery at Cornell. My Dr. is going to prescribe Nature-thyoid, the natural thyroid medication. I am thrilled about that!

This has been such an emotional roller coaster for me. I have never been to so many Dr. appts. That part is exhausting to me. It is hard since the children are so young. I am worried about the RAI and being away from the children, the medication and regulating it. One day I am feeling great and the next day I am down in the dumps. I think the support here will be helpful since I don't think my husband understands everything I am feeling. I will continue my story after surgery. Thanks for this support group. -Michaeline
mgleasman04

Re: my journey before surgery

Postby Maria4str8 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 am

Yes, I think the support and information here helps alot. No one understands as much as you would like. My husband has been helpful but I already feel my self getting testy. My kids are all grown up but still at home and I run a home daycare center. I cant close because like so many americans we are just making end meet. I got through the first week ok but my Husband has taken next week off so he can help with the daycare. Luckily I only have one child right now and he is 19 month and a sweetheart. But when I let my mind wonder I worry about not bouncing back one two three. Keep posting, I will and it does help.
Maria4str8

Postby mgleasman04 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks for your reply. It helps to know that I am not crazy for being moody, irritable and changing my personality hour to hour! I have a lot of help set up and I have let everyone know that I can't do this on my own-that is taking care of the children and housework. It is the not knowing how I am going to feel after the surgery. Hope you are feeling better!
mgleasman04

Postby mendy_ann » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:16 am

Hi! I was just wondering how your surgery went? I also have small children and recently had a total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer. Hope all went well and you are back at home with your babies! God bless!
mendy_ann

Return to Post Your Story