Salt or not in the low iodine diet

Salt or not in the low iodine diet

Postby KerryBaby » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:57 am

I’m doing my low iodine diet and finding it hard to avoid salt. How do you know if the salt has iodine in it?
BTW....i don't like this diet! :|
KerryBaby

Re: Salt or not in the low iodine diet

Postby Pleidies » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:25 am

Kosher salt generally does not have iodine in it. Maybe buy some of that, and take it with you if you get the chance to eat out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_salt
Pleidies

Postby Jane443 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Salt is OK to use as long as it is non-iodized salt. You can buy this at virtually any grocery store. I can’t live without a little salt on my food ;)
Jane443

Postby BenH » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:49 am

O boy, not the low iodine diet!! I have to do it again soon here....it's harder then the actual treatment.
BenH

Postby gigglestars » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:01 pm

It is very important to make sure the Kosher salt you get is not just iodized salt that meets Kosher standards, but actual coarse grained Kosher salt. I get the big blue box from Mortons. It saves me by being able to add it to oatmeal, homemade corn chips (no regular chips that have salt on this diet), as well as adding to my unsalted peanut butter and pasta sauces (i get cans of tomatoes no salt added, or tomato paste and make my own sauces), as well as using it to make my own bread. remember you cannot have store bought preads as they used iodized flour and often have added salts. Sea Salt is also to be entirely avoided.

Almost all prepared foods is utilizing salt so keep in mind you really need to make all your foods fresh--avoid dairy and soy and seafood--all high in IODINE!! I read somewhere in here someone mentioning no rice--Rice and Pasta is fine on this diet, as long as no iodized salt is used in cooking. Another tip is to make your own beans from scratch since canned beans have salt. Th eonly other important thing to remember is if you eat chicken, it has to be fresh from the butcher because most commercially sold chicken is injected with a brine solution which has....you guessed it, salt in it, and you have to assume iodized salt unless you can verify it is kosher. You CAN do it--two weeks can drag a bit but in the end it is worth it for the best scans and treatments!!
gigglestars

Return to Low Iodine Diet