RAI treatment and childbirth

RAI treatment and childbirth

Postby KerryBaby » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Does anyone know how radioactive iodine-131 treatment will affect my chances of having children in the future? I mean normal children without birth defects.

I’m 18 and I will be having RAI treatment soon for papillary cancer. The doctor said I will have a moderate dose of radioactive iodine. I don’t plan on having children anytime soon but I do want them someday. I hope my eggs don’t get fried!
KerryBaby

Re: RAI treatment and childbirth

Postby Pleidies » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Hey there. I just came back from meeting with an endocrinologist who was really good at addressing these concerns (she brought up the subject before I got a chance to ask!)
According to her, there are no shown long-term effects of radiation treatment (low/moderate I'm assuming) on the ovaries or eggs. They do ask women to wait 6 months before conceiving after radiation treatment, but that's actually not due to any residual radiation, it's because you will probably be hypothyroid (low thyroid hormone) during this time, as they adjust your levels to find the right dosage. It has been shown that low thyroid hormone during pregnancy can adversely affect the IQ level of your baby, so they want to avoid that.

I was definitely concerned about the effect of radiation on the ovaries, but she says it isn't an issue, and I have no reason to not believe her, as she seemed smart, confident, and concerned for my health in all regards.

Hope that helps - also, don't be afraid to ask your own doctor for their opinions, maybe using this info as a starting point.
Pleidies

Postby Rose » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:50 am

I had 3 beautiful very normal children after I had radioactive treatment. It wasn't an issue for me :)
Rose

Postby Jane443 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 pm

My doctor also told me that I should wait 6 months. She didn’t think radioactive iodine treatment would have any influence on my future children.
Jane443

Return to Radioactive Iodine Treatment