How often does papillary cancer return?

Forum relating to papillary carcinoma

How often does papillary cancer return?

Postby Jane443 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:06 am

I was diagnosed two years ago with papillary cancer. I had thyroid surgery and radiation treatment. So far my body scans have been negative. I'm going in for my yearly scan this week and I'm so nervous. Does anyone know how often papillary cancer returns? wish me luck.
Jane443

Re: How often does papillary cancer return?

Postby kmarshall » Tue May 05, 2009 12:33 am

I my research I believe its about 15-30% of recurrance of thyroid cancer over the first 10 years from the intial diagnosis. I hope it's hovers around the 15% mark more. The though of going through all the treatment again is scary. But if it returns I'm going to hit it hard again with radioactive iodine. You are a survivor, stay stronge :)
kmarshall

Postby elena » Wed May 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi,
my husbans was diagnosed last year with a variant of papillary cancer. The prognosis was good but we are both worrying and don't managed to stay very positive. It is especially difficult since the doctors seemed to take a long time to diagnose it and they decided it's a variant - not quite follicullar put not quite ppillary.
The first scan after the surgery said the the result was 'normal'. they mentioned they might do another radioiodine and another scan to double check.
My husband saw the doctor last week and made an appointment for another scan in 3 months. I didn't go with him but he told me it was ok. I am worried now because he received a letter to confirm the appointment and it mentiones that there are no other nodules but it says there was vascular invasion. Is this normar, what is it? I haven't seen it mentioned on the other papers and I am worried they discovered something else.
Please can you tell me what it means? Is vascular invasion to be expected with this form of cancer?
Thank you.
I am new to the forum,but I am relieved I found it because I don't know who to turn to...
elena

Postby Edward » Thu May 14, 2009 3:18 am

Elena,

Vascular invasion simply means there is blood vessel growth into surrounding tissue. Vascular invasion can often occur before cancer spreads or can be an indication that the cancer has more potential to spread. Typically, cancer uses the lymphatic system or blood system to spread. If vascular invasion is present, doctors may treat the cancer more aggressively and/or monitor more closely.

What does this mean for papillary and/or follicular cancer? I’m sure the doctors will monitor your husband more closely (with the radioactive scans and blood tests.) That will pick up any new thyroid tissue/or cancer cell growth.

I had papillary thyroid cancer with vascular invasion in my nodule. I had a complete thyroidectomy. Then I had a strong dose of radioactive iodine-131. My whole body scan was also normal. The doctors were concerned about metastasis to my lymph nodes. Hasn’t happened yet! I get check every year, it’s been 8 years. My anxiety kicks up during my yearly testing but I think that is to be expected.

The good news is follicular and papillary carcinoma both have a good prognosis. They also typically respond well to radioactive iodine-131 treatment. I know it’s hard to stay positive but remember you or your husband are doing the best you can. It sounds like your husband is being monitor by the doctors closely which is the most important thing for thyroid cancer patients. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Edward

Postby elena » Thu May 14, 2009 8:23 am

Thank you very much for this.
It means so much that someone gave me an answer, it helps me panic less.
It's hard because it's not me who is ill and I don't know how to support him and men are not that good and saying what they really think or feel.
Thank you
elena

Postby Mary » Fri May 15, 2009 10:24 pm

elena wrote:It's hard because it's not me who is ill and I don't know how to support him and men are not that good and saying what they really think or feel.

Right on Elena. My husband is the same way. I have to mind read him. He never knows any details!! You might want to go with him to his appointments. This may help you feel better :)
Mary

Postby momoftwo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:39 am

I agree about going the the appointments with your husband! You should be able to ask all your questions to his doctor as this affects you so closely too!

I recently had surgery for papillary carcinoma and my husband was with me for all my appointments. He asked all his questions and that helped him a lot.

All the best to you!
momoftwo

Return to Papillary Cancer