JUST DIAGNOSED?? TT NOW RAI OR NOT

JUST DIAGNOSED?? TT NOW RAI OR NOT

Postby sito456 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Here goes nothing...Well my story is happening @ 100 miles per hour and I finally pulled the emergencey brake!! About two months ago i had pulled a muscle around the top of my shoulder. I went to my pcp and she noticed a lump on my neck. I was not concerned at all..then began the routine ultasound(4.5 cm nodule on left side mostly vascular 2 on the right side 1. 1.5 )..fine needle biopsy(inconclusive? say what).. The Dr that perfomed the fnb was great she reffered me to a general surgeon that has a deep interest in thyroid conditions.M et with him to discuss options after 1o minutes or so i had my surgery date 05/28/09 oh no it was may 2nd today and i thought okay here goes nothing. I am a 29 myear old mother of two and I can get through anything!! Thats how us moms think. Well day of the surgery was hospitalized overnight had moderate only once severe pain. yeah i did it..Oh but not so fast i just had my follow up on Monday June 8 (hubby's birthday) i felt better than ever untill!!The news pappilary cancer on the righ side where i had the smallest nodule and was considering not removing the right side at all. I looked @ the Dr..and said okay..He was explaining and all i was thinkin i am super mom i am going to get through this and more.I came home and let my husband know and took him out for lunch!!Long story not so short..i am joining this forum for support and to share my story with others in the simaliar situation.!!! OOps got of topic now to rai or not??that is the question Meeting with endo june 30.in the meantime have been researching and speaking to diffrent treatment centers..Best of all we will all fight this :)
sito456

Re: JUST DIAGNOSED?? TT NOW RAI OR NOT

Postby kmarshall » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:18 am

Sounds like you are going through a lot right now. I’m glad you are taking some time to research and ask questions. You’ll be ready for your next doctors appt.

I was diagnosed with multifocal papillary thyroid cancer. It was on both sides of my thyroid (2.0cm left and .5cm right). Because it was multifocal my endocrinologist recommended RAI treatment. However, he told me if it was only on one side of my thyroid in my case I wouldn’t have to do RAI. He said that studies have shown that with small papillary cancers only in one spot RAI showed no significant improvement in long term recurrence rate. I was confused by this, but because I had thyroid cancer in two spots I did have RAI treatment.

I am sure your doctors will go over your options at your next appt. Ultimately, it will be your decision if you want RAI treatment. There are other things you must consider….like are you planning to have more children soon. My doctor informed me that RAI doesn’t have to be done immediately. He was willing to wait up to 6 months to do mine but I wanted to get it done with…..the sooner the better.

I didn’t have any side effect from RAI. It was pretty simple….just take a pill and avoid people for 8 days. This will be hard with the kids. They may feel a little neglected during this time. Hang in there. This will be over soon. You are done with the hard part...the surgery.
kmarshall

Postby Cameron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:29 am

I think there may be a little controversy in the medical community between RAI or not with single small papillary cancer nodules. I’ve heard different stories from different people, some get RAI and some don’t get RAI. I’m sure your doctors will know the latest recommendations for treatment in your case. I feel like cancer treatments are always changing. I guess medicine in general is always changing.
Cameron

Postby sito456 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Hello to all. ;) Currently right now i am seeking other options in diffrent states. I have slowed down a litlle because as you know when it rains it pours. Saturday after my post my fever spiked and awful lower back pain I went to the urgent care and of course had a kidney infection(blood, nitrates,white blood cells in my urine). I am much better today had a scan of my kidneys and we will see what happens. Any how i appreciate your responses and support i am going through alot but i will hang in there as we all agreed! It is a great support to now you are not the only one that is fighting with this.. at times with family and friends you kinda feel alone due to the fact everyone is supportive and worried and upset at the same time(they cant help it :cry: ) I am not having anymore children had a tubal after my son was born 10/2005. I am glad to hear about no side effects with the rai..i think thats the first time since my short time as a member thats good. I am considering so many options i think i dream of them isnt it confusing and tiresome at times..oh dear..gotta do what we gotta do. Well by the end of this week i will have a plan and let you all know. thanks again
sito456

Postby Nurjio » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 pm

You may have seen my brief story onthe 'post your story' thread. I'm in the UK and my wife and I both have Papillary Thyroid C. We've both had RAI because in my case, 1 lymph node had it, my wife had it in 8 nodes - hence RAI was recommended. The isolation was a bit of a chore, but, if it's going to help cure, then it's a must.

Good Luck

Martin
Nurjio

Postby Edward » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:39 am

You are going through alot now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Edward

Postby BenH » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:49 am

Radiation worked for me! I did get the runs for a couple days at the hospital but besides that it was farily easy.
BenH

Postby sito456 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I went aheadand had the i-131 treatment they gave me 104 millicures (3 pills) on july 14 I am back home now and i feel good..the side effect was my vocie is still hoarse and have tenderness in my neck but its tolerable :| i decided to have the treatment due to my children. Everyone hang in there .
yas
sito456

Return to Post Your Story