Does anyone have info about medullary cancer?

Forum relating to medullary carcinoma

Does anyone have info about medullary cancer?

Postby Mary » Mon May 04, 2009 1:18 am

I'm looking for some info or life stories about medullary carcinoma. I was diagnosed with medullary cancer two weeks ago...I'm a 55 y/o female. It seems that this cancer is rare. I've also read that the treatment is not as successful as with the other kinds of thyroid cancer. I guess this type of cancer only occurs in 5% of thyroid cancers so that's probably why I can't find anyone to talk to. I'm just nervous and frustrated....type A personality. I really feel like this is the end. I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard. Please help. :?
Mary

Re: Does anyone have info about medullary cancer?

Postby kmarshall » Sat May 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Mary,

I know cancer is hard. I had papillary carcinoma. I know this is different then medullary but I want to encourage you to stay strong. When I was diagnosed at such a young age with cancer I was basically in a state of denial. I've learned to work through it with the help of my family and friends. I surrounded myself with positive people. This helps me cope better. I know the initial couple month is rough. Hang in there...things will get better. :)
kmarshall

Postby Jen1000 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:36 am

My friend’s aunt had medullary thyroid cancer (I think it was a variant form.) When I was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer I talked with her. I was so scared back then. She was diagnosed in her 60's. She had surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. The first two years after she was diagnosed were hard on her. She went through a lot with all the treatments. Now she gets checked out every 6 months. The doctors think the treatment was successful but they are very cautious with this type of cancer. The told her reoccurrences is high. I pray for her health everyday.
Jen1000

Postby Mary » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:02 pm

Thank you everyone for the support. I'm beginning to come to terms, I think. I just had a complete thyroid surgery. I believe I'm going to have some type of chemo treatment soon once I heal up. I’m doing some “clinic study drugs.” I know my cancer is harder to treat then the other thyroid cancers :( but I’m going to fight it as hard as I can. My darling husband is a great support and I love him so much.
Mary

Return to Medullary Cancer