Follicular cancer at age 28

Forum relating to follicular carcinoma

Follicular cancer at age 28

Postby Cameron » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer. I'm only 28 years old. It was found initially because I had difficulty swallowing food. The doctor ordered an ultrasound and a large thyroid nodule was seen. I noticed the neck lump for a few years. I really just thought it was a swollen nodule. The fine needle biopsy showed follicular cancer so I had a complete thyroidectomy surgery. I also had the readioactive iodine treatment. Does anyone know the chances of this cancer spreading to my lymph nodes or the rest of my body?

Thanks.
Cameron

Re: Follicular cancer at age 28

Postby Edward » Thu May 21, 2009 2:59 am

Cameron,

I’m not fond of cancer statistics. As long as you are doing everything you can and what your doctors recommend then that’s about it. Statistic don’t really matter when you are doing everything you can. During my diagnosis and treatment the doctors were always throwing out statistics and odds, but in reality it didn’t really change anything for me. If anything it made me more stressed out. Sometime statistics are important for treatment options but it is also important not to dwell on them or have them run your life.

My recommendations “live life strong and enjoy everyday as if there is no tomorrow.”
Edward

Postby Cameron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 am

Thanks for encouragement. I will beat this cancer! :)
Cameron

Postby sito456 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Cameron,
Hang in ther sounds like you have a great attitude. Yes i agree i am not fond of statistics as well...we are not a statistic we are individuals fighting to acheive optimal health and dont forget happiness :P . Any how just listen to your body and if you dont feel something is right go with your instinct ask questions ,research and always continue with treatment and appts. I have a much healthier diet with fruits and vegs (of course i cheat) but it makes a diffrence.. Take care and continue fighting as we all agreed!
sito456

Return to Follicular Cancer