brand name synthroid

brand name synthroid

Postby BenH » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:02 am

My doctor is on a high about using name brand synthroid not generic levothyroixine. What is this!?! Levothyroixine is cheaper.
BenH

Re: brand name synthroid

Postby stethascope » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:37 am

Not sure about your doctor but mine made me use brand name because he said the levothyroxine does not work as quickly or efffectively for severe hypothyroid in all persons. I am doing alittle better since he changed me to brand synthyroid.
stethascope

Postby kmarshall » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:03 am

According to my endocrinologist the brand name Synthroid is more accurate in the manufacturing process so each pill is more exact. The generics can be up to 10% off from their labeled dose. The inaccuracy in the generics can cause problems with people that are sensitive to fluctuations. Some people do fine with generics (I’m using levothyroxine, generic). However, a friend of mine had to switch to Synthroid because here TSH was all over the place and the doctor recommended this to help stabilize her.

My doctor wrote a prescription for Synthroid (no substitutions) but my insurance wouldn’t cover it. So he OK’d the generics for me. I will switch to Synthroid in a heartbeat if I can’t get my TSH normalized in the next few months.

I think stethascope is right......synthroid just works better overall.
kmarshall

Postby dlanemarie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:12 am

Hi,

Unlike you, I did not have thyroid cancer, but I did have a total thyroidectomy. I too was put on synthyroid 100 mg. If you do not have a thyroid synthroid is NOT for you. To let you known there are 4 thyroid hormones, t1, t2, t3, and t4. Synthryoid is only t4. You will not have proper t3 conversion, nor will you have the other hormones you need. You will start gaining weight, your hair will fall out, your skin will get dry, your thinking will become foggy. The correct blood tests do not depend on the tsh, but the free t4 and free t3, not the uptakes either. I am not a person who endorses any meds or doctors, I know from experience. I have had 6 years of research and tons of doctors before I found one yes only one that listened to me and hear what i was saying...please visit stopthethyroidmadness.com...it is a wonderful site. kmarshall remember when you saw those doctors that only wanted to do surgery and the bad feeling you got, it is the same way with the pushing of synthroid...its not the choice of people who have done the research, get informed before you get worse, it will happen..I know, it happened to me and millions of others. Sorry I am very passionate about this and if I can steer someone in the right direction, thats all that would make me happy..
dlanemarie

Postby BenH » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:47 am

Everyone, thanks for all the input. I have a lot of things to look into now. I'm going ask my doctor about natural thyroid hormones. I never knew about those. I wonder if my insurance will pay for those.
BenH

Postby demirogluc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 pm

hej there, anyone using euthyrox?
btw, thanks for this forum..

papillary survivor from turkey/sweden
demirogluc

Postby BenH » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:48 am

Euthyrox is levothyroxine. Same as the below medications:

Unithroid (Levothyroxine)
Levoxyl (Levothyroxine)
Levothroid (Levothyroxine)
Synthroid (Levothyroxine)
(copied from www.thyroidcancerblog.com)

I don’t think euthyrox is available in the USA. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I did a search and there wasn't much on that medicine.

Ditto, I love this blog! Helped me out a ton.
BenH

Postby demirogluc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:23 am

I think it's mainly common in Europe but not the US. I use it. 150mcg.
pack says made in Germany.
only if we had something that does not require us to wake up regularly with empty stomach.
i'm a phd student, so nights and days usually mix in my life. but, after all, its no big deal.
demirogluc

Postby BenH » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 am

only if we had something that does not require us to wake up regularly with empty stomach.
i'm a phd student, so nights and days usually mix in my life

I agree, why do we have to take the medicine in the morning on an empty stomach!?! Probably something to do with absorption but why can't they make a better pill or something. My doctor told me to wait at least 30 min. preferably one hour before I eat anything after I take my pill. That's really hard when I wake up late for work!! Makes me snack all morning at work now...I'm going to get a fat belly now! I guess I can't blame my hypo just my need to snack all morning. :?
BenH

Return to Thyroid Medication and Hormone Levels