Hormone levels after thyroid surgery

Hormone levels after thyroid surgery

Postby Butterfly » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 pm

I was recently diagnosed with papillary carcinoma. I'm a 24 y/o female. I noticed a lump on my neck and went in to see a doctor. I am scheduled for thyroid surgery in 3 weeks. I am nervous but I'm glad it was found early. I've heard horror stories about getting hormone levels correct after surgery....what was your experience?
Last edited by Butterfly on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butterfly

Re: Hormone levels after thyroid surgery

Postby Edward » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:47 am

Well, I'm sure everyone has a different experience but I had my thyroid remove 8 years ago (papillary carcinoma). It took a year or so to get my hormone levels where the doctors wanted them. I actually felt pretty good the whole time. My only complaint was when I had to not take my medication for a few weeks before the radiation treatment.......man, I was TIRED!! But once i got back on my thyroid medication I did well. Things may be a little rocky at the start but your hormones will level out....good luck ;)
Last edited by Edward on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward

Postby Jen1000 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:37 am

For me it was a little more complicated. I'm a 28 y/o female that had a complete thyroid removal a few years ago (papillary carcinoma.) Initially it was very difficult to get my levels right. I have bad anxiety so this somehow was really effected by my thyroid meds. My levels are on right now and I'm feeling good, but it did take awhile. I recommend having your levels check every 2 months or so initially.
Jen1000

Postby Butterfly » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:41 am

I'm an active person so this who surgery makes me nerous. Will my life be the same? Can I still run and mountian bike like usual?
Butterfly

Postby Edward » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:28 am

Butterfly wrote:I'm an active person so this who surgery makes me nerous. Will my life be the same? Can I still run and mountian bike like usual?

Yes! Your life will have some changes initially but once things settle down then you should be able to live a normal life. I was worried about the same thing. I'm an outdoors man and was so worried that my energy levels would limit me. However, I've been fine. Yeah, when you stop taking you thyroid meds for the body scan or radioactive treatment you may get tired but that's only temperary....well at least it was for me. I have been living a happy normal life for the last 8 years after my thryoid surgery.
Edward

Postby EastCoast » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:41 am

I really didn't notice much difference in my daily life. I started taking my thyroid hormone the day after surgery and have never stopped. I got the thyrogen injections so I didn't have to stop taking my thyroid medication before my radioactive treated. I never had to go through the hypothyroid state. The thyrogen injections rock! ;)
EastCoast

Postby Rose » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 am

I am a 61 y/o female and I've been dealing with hormone levels for the last twenty years. My thyroid was removed in the 90's. Maybe it's the female in me but I've had some challenges with the balance of my hormone levels. Initially it wasn't that bad but over the last 10 years I have had some problems. I'm consistantly going to my endocrinologist every 3 months. He's a lovely doctor but i'm sure he's probably sick of me. He does such a great job and he's very patient :D
Rose

Postby EastCoast » Sun May 10, 2009 2:26 am

I had to go to my endocrinologist today........I was just so tired. My TSH was 4.3! I'm increasing my dose to .137 mg (from .100 mg). Lets hope this brings my energy levels up. :?
EastCoast

Postby Pleidies » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 am

I just wanted to point out that I had my surgery on July 30th, starting on meds the next day, and nearly two and a half weeks later I feel absolutely fine. Really, I feel pretty much the same as I did before surgery. I was expecting hair loss, weight gain, all that - but I am coasting along at the same energy levels and weight (and hair quality) as before. I am having occasional difficulty with getting to sleep, but this might just be due to general worry. I don't feel sluggish, I don't feel jittery. This is great news!

I'll be meeting with my endocrinologist on August 31st - that's when we'll get some solid numbers to look at. I'm hoping I won't need to be made much more hypo - I'm liking things the way they are.

:P
Pleidies

Return to Thyroid Medication and Hormone Levels